A watermill at Letheringsett was mentioned in the Domesday book. The present mill was built in 1802 to replace an earlier mill destroyed by fire. It was originally built to house four pairs of millstones, driven by the iron waterwheel but only two pairs are working today. The water wheel is unusual – it can be run breastshot or changed by a simple shutter to run undershot if the water level falls. Mike and Marion Thurlow took over the mill in 1987 and restored it to working order, and the family continue to run it. An award winning tourist attraction, it is the last remaining watermill in Norfolk to produce flour.
VISITING, DIRECTIONS, PRODUCE
All year : Demonstrations by arrangement : please ring
Access: Disabled access to ground floor only.
Directions: The Mill is about half a mile from Holt town centre, off the A148 road to Kings Lynn. See map: Google Maps
Certification : Organic. Range of flours including whole wheat and spelt flour
Shop : The Mill shop has flour and a good selection of dried fruit, nuts, oats and muesli etc.