Foster’s Mill, built in 1857 stands on a site where milling has taken place since Domesday. The present mill, built by Hunts of Soham, is a tower mill made of brick and local clunch (a kind of chalk). The mill has four floors and contains two pairs of French Bur stones and flour dressing equipment. The mill worked commercially until 1946 as a grist mill along with its sister mill which stands some 200 yards away. The mill was restored between 1970 and 1992 and is now in regular use.
VISITING, DIRECTIONS, PRODUCE
Directions: In Swaffham Prior on B1102 off A14 Cambridge to Newmarket road (NB. There are 2 windmills in the village. Foster’s Mill is on the left hand side as you drive north towards Newmarket and Ely). See map: Google Maps
Access : Ground floor only accessible for people with limited mobility.
Certifications: organic Shop : All flours milled from organic wheat Flours and other products including: White, Wholemeal, Brown, Spelt, Rye. Various of types of Muesli. All products can be ordered by telephone at any time using number above. Collection by arrangement. Products also available through local speciality stores – please call for details.
Wholesale/Trade : Please call for information and prices.